Our network

Be Prepared to Retire in a Volatile Market

In an ideal world, your retirement would be timed perfectly. You would be ready to leave the workforce, your debt would be paid off, and your nest egg would be large enough to provide a comfortable retirement--with some left over to leave a legacy for your heirs.

Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world, and events can take you by surprise. In a survey conducted by the Employee Benefit Research Institute, only 44% of current retirees said they retired when they had planned; 46% retired earlier, many for reasons beyond their control.1 But even if you retire on schedule and have other pieces of the retirement puzzle in place, you cannot predict the stock market. What if you retire during a market downturn?

Sequencing risk

Community Sponsors

Are you interested in promoting your business to local customers?

Investors Are Human, Too

In 1981, the Nobel Prize-winning economist Robert Shiller published a groundbreaking study that contradicted a prevailing theory that markets are always efficient. If they were, stock prices would generally mirror the growth in earnings and dividends. Shiller's research showed that stock prices fluctuate more often than changes in companies' intrinsic valuations (such as dividend yield) would suggest.1

Shiller concluded that asset prices sometimes move erratically in the short term simply because investor behavior can be influenced by emotions such as greed and fear. Many investors would agree that it's sometimes difficult to stay calm and act rationally, especially when unexpected events upset the financial markets.

Researchers in the field of behavioral finance have studied how cognitive biases in human thinking can affect investor behavior. Understanding the influence of human nature might help you overcome these common psychological traps.

Have you heard about the newest employee perk?

What's one of the most cutting-edge employee benefits right now? Company-provided student loan assistance for employees who are paying back student loans.

With a record amount of student loan debt attached to the incoming workforce (visit finaid.org to see a student debt clock that now tops $1.3 trillion), companies that rely on a college-educated workforce--and want to attract and retain the best workers--are starting to offer student loan assistance to meet this immediate financial concern of many employees.

Lawley Recognized as a 2016 Healthiest 100 Workplace in America®

Buffalo, N.Y. (Oct. 20, 2016) – Lawley, a Top 100 independent insurance broker in the United States according to Business Insurance, has been recognized as a 2016 Healthiest 100 Workplace in America, an awards program presented by Springbuk®.

The top one hundred employers were recognized at the Corporate Wellness Conference® in Washington D.C. The winning organizations are honored for their commitment to employee health and exceptional corporate wellness programming. Over 5,000 employers applied for the Award nationally.

Community Sponsors

Are you interested in promoting your business to local customers?

Dog Ears Bookstore Hosts Successful ‘I Read It’ Run

Dog Ears Bookstore Hosts Successful ‘I Read It’ Run

Thanks to the efforts of sponsors, community volunteers and many enthusiastic children, Dog Ears Bookstore & Café held a successful second annual “I Read It” Run on Sunday, Sept. 25, in Cazenovia Park. Children at the event were able to run in age categories and earn prizes for crossing the finish line.

“The sponsors of the run are fantastic and help us build libraries for life as we gave away over 150 books at the event,” said Dog Ears Director Thomas McDonnell. “Our book distributor, Baker & Taylor, contacted many publishing companies on our behalf who donated all the books for the run. I would also like to extend a very special thank you to David Cully and Diane Mangan for making the necessary arrangements for the donations. They are absolutely committed to the importance of books and all that they have to offer!”

Halloween Event to Kick Off New Puppy Tales Series at Dog Ears Bookstore

Halloween Event to Kick Off New Puppy Tales Series at Dog Ears Bookstore

A Halloween costume party will kick off a new six-week Puppy Tales series at Dog Ears Bookstore & Café, located at 688 Abbott Road in South Buffalo. The adventure kicks off at 10:15 a.m. Friday, Oct. 28.

Open to children ages 2 to 4 accompanied by a parent or guardian, Puppy Tales runs on six consecutive Friday mornings and each session includes three stories, a craft and healthy snacks. 

Puppy Tales is a great way to prepare students for Pre-K. The cost is $25 for six sessions and the program is limited to 20 children.

ACA and Employers: Terms to Know about Offers of Health Coverage

Under the Affordable Care Act, certain employers – known as applicable large employers – are subject to the employer shared responsibility provisions. You might be thinking about these topics as you make plans about 2017 health coverage for your employees. 

If you are an employer that is subject to the employer shared responsibility provisions, you may choose either to offer affordable minimum essential coverage that provides minimum value to your full-time employees and their dependents, or to potentially owe an employer shared responsibility payment to the IRS.

Here are definitions of key terms related to health coverage you might offer to employees: