Toby, Kodiak Bear at Buffalo Zoo, Euthanized | News
BUFFALO, NY - Toby, a 22-year-old Kodiak bear living at the Buffalo Zoo, had to euthanized this past weekend due to poor health.
Zoo officials say Toby was being treated for age-related degenerative joint disease characterized by progressive osteoarthritis.
Last year, Toby was moved from his multi-level terrain exhibit to an off-exhibit area to keep him more comfortable on an even surface with a pool to provide relief for his joints.
As his condition worsened, Zoo officials made the decision to euthanize him.
It's estimated that Toby was born in 1990 and came to the Buffalo Zoo in 2002.
Top North Buffalo Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers