Fundraising Scam Claims to Support Haven House | News
BUFFALO, NY-- Buffalo Police and Child and Family Services are warning residents and business owners to be aware of a fundraising scam claiming to support Haven House.
Officials say the fundraising scam is taking place around Hertel Avenue in the City of Buffalo.
A Hertel Avenue business owner called Child and Family Services to report that a woman had approached him soliciting donations to benefit domestic violence victims at Haven House. The business owner said he believed her to be legitamite because she was passing out communication materials promoting Erie County's 24-hour domestic violence hotlines.
Two employees at the business each donated $10.
However, when the same woman returned again on Wednesday, employees became suspicious and contacted Child & Family Services.
Employees described the woman as having shoulder-length, auburn-colored hair; 5'2" tall with a medium-build. She was dressed casually, and has a tattoo of a cross on the top of her left foot.
If you are approached by this woman or have any additional information, please call the Buffalo Police Tip Line at (716) 847-2255.
Top North Buffalo Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Elmwood-Bidwell Farmers Market Lists May 25 Events
- New Flavors and Cuisines at Sun Restaurant
- Kennedy, Ryan Welcome Homeowner to Renovated 19th Street Home; Announce Housing Grant for West Side
- Local WWII Vet Shares Amazing Story of Survival
- Permanent Food Vendors to Replace Winter Market at Horsefeathers