Buffalo Attorney Charged with DWI, Leaving the Scene | News
BUFFALO, NY - State Police say a Buffalo attorney crashed his car along the Niagara Section of the Thruway, then took off into the woods where searchers found him a short time later pretending to be asleep.
Troopers from the Niagara barracks responded to a report of a one-car accident Sunday night around 8:30 just south of exit 22 in Niagara Falls.
When they got there, they saw the driver get out of the car, jump a fence and head towards nearby woods. When he couldn't be found right away, troopers brought in a heat-sensing camera from the Town of Niagara fire department.
Shortly after, they found 43-year-old Thomas Cannavo of Starin Avenue lying down in the woods. When asked, Cannavo said he didn't know why the State Police was trying to find him.
Cannavo is charged with DWI, resisting arrest, leaving the scene of a property damage accident and other charges. He is set to be arraigned Monday morning in Niagara Falls City Court.
Upcoming Events near North Buffalo
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village